Cross Sound Ferry Lighthouse Tours
See 8 lighthouses, 2 forts and maybe even a submarine from the deck of Cross Sound Ferry’s comfortable, high-speed SeaJet. Lighthouses include several of Long Island’s prettiest, including the Coffepot Lighthouse and Plum Island Light. Tour takes about two hours.
A smooth-sailing catamaran capable of cruising at speeds in excess of 30 knots (35 mph), the SeaJet is equipped with modern airline-style seating on two enclosed air-conditioned passenger decks with a spacious outdoor viewing deck as you listen to an expert narrator. Snacks and beverages are available on board.
The oldest lighthouse in Connecticut, the original New London Harbor Light helped guide colonial privateers who sought shelter up the Thames River during the American Revolution.
A French Second Empire structure architecturally unique for a lighthouse, the Ledge Light is unusual for another reason – it’s reportedly haunted by the ghost of an early keeper!
The last lighthouse in the state built as an official navigational aid, it wasn’t lighted until over a year after its 1943 completion due to concerns about possible Nazi attack during WWII.
During Prohibition, the keeper of the North Dumpling Lighthouse was accused of signaling to liquor smugglers. Today, its owned by the inventor of the Segway Human Transporter.
Many ships had been lost on Race Rock Reef before Congress decided to erect Rack Rock Lighthouse. Built on a ledge where fast currents and conflicting seas are the norm, the foundations alone took seven years to build.
Also known as the Coffee Pot Lighthouse, the cast-iron clad and brick lined Orient Point Lighthouse was marked for demolition by the Coast Guard in 1970, but was saved by public outcry.
Also known as Plum Gut Light, the 1869 historic granite lighthouse was decommissioned in 1978 in favor of an automated light that now sits a short distance away.
Taken by the British in the War of 1812 and destroyed by the hurricane of 1815, Little Gull Island Lighthouse has had a colorful past. The tower that stands today dates from 1868.
A tall granite monument honors those killed defending the fort during the Battle of Groton Heights, including Col. William Ledyard, slain by his own sword while surrendering.
See where the first nuclear powered submarine was built, and where subs continue to be built today. You might see one under construction, under repair, or underway!
Built in 1777, Fort Trumbull was attacked and captured by British forces under the command of the famed turncoat Benedict Arnold.
Once the third busiest whaling port in the world, New London is now home to the United States Coast Guard Academy and home port for the Coast Guard's tall ship the Barque EAGLE.
May 23-June 1
Tues., Thurs., Sat., & Sun.
June 1-June 25
Daily except Monday and Wednesday
June 26- Sept. 2
Sept 4- Oct. 2
Mon., Wed., Fri. & Sun.
Oct 6, 12, 16, 20, 26 & 30
Departure times vary.
Tours are approximately 2 hours. Reservations strongly recommended.
Visit website or call 860 444 4620
New London ferry docks:
2 Ferry Street, New London, CT.
$15 child (ages 2-11)
Under 2 free